Saturday, June 5, 2010

Book Review: Under the Dome pt 1

I just passed the halfway mark in Stephen King's latest novel. Or should I say, tome, since this book is almost 1100 pages long.
I was expecting this to be my one book of the summer, but I'm actually getting through it really fast. I've only been reading it for a week for about an hour or two before bed. It's really freakin good. I don't want to put it down.
King has an amazing ability to create an "unlikely" situation, and then let us read about how his characters deal with it. His exploration into the psychological make for some pretty scary stuff, mostly because we end up thinking about how we would react in that situation and are afraid of what would happen then.
The story takes place in his usual haunt, a small town in Maine, that one morning ends up under some kind of dome or force field. It's completely impenetrable by anything the government throws at it. Of course there's no explanation of where it's from, at least not at this point in the book.
I'm completely engrossed in the characters and this town. It's amazing how fast things start to go downhill, although not without some help from a very unlikeable character in the town.
I'm sure I'll be done in less than a week with the second half of the book. I'm kind of afraid of what will happen, but I have faith in the good people of Chester's Mill to do the right thing.
I'll just have to wait and see.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment