Monday, June 14, 2010

Book Review: Under the Dome pt 2

Given the enormity of this book I decided to write my review in two parts.
I was surprised how quickly I got through this book. It took me two weeks to read the book, mostly because I didn't want to put it down. I got extremely caught up in the story and the characters. Everytime I had to stop reading I felt anxious about what would happen next to the characters I cared about.
King has a way of making you feel connected to his characters. Which is no great feat. Especially since he tends to trickle their past into the story instead of giving you a lot of background at the beginning like other writers tend to do. Maybe that's why his characters tend to feel like such real people, you get to know along the way just like you do with your real friends.
The story takes place in a small town, Chester's Mill, which gets trapped under an invisible force field. The town goes from a quaint little place to insanity extremely quickly. It's interesting to think about what "good" people would do under such extreme circumstances. In this case, it's not all pretty.
I won't give anything away since almost everything is important to the telling of the story, but I will say that this book tugged at the entire spectrum of my emotions. I loathed so many of the power hungry characters, I loved the brave ones and felt pain whenever any of them got hurt. I rooted for the poor little boy left alone and hoped for the right ending for everyone. I say "right", because I didn't want a happy ending for everyone.

I've read almost every book Stephen King has written and I usually love all of them. There have been a couple that were tough to get through, but were really good stories nonetheless.
This book looked like it would be a difficult read. It's such a large book that it's daunting. I'm glad I tackled it. This turned out to be a very easy read because it was so engaging.
I think it may be one of my new favorite books. I definitely recommend King fans read this book and, as usual, enjoy his talent for writing an amazing story. I also recommend non-King fans to read this book and realize that he's not just a horror writer.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment