Thursday, March 18, 2010

Graphic Novel review: Emily the Strange The Lost Days

I love the artwork for Emily the Strange. I've always loved checking out the products with the character and her cats and bats and things. I have not had the chance to read any of the comics though. They've been on my, and I've quickly skimmed through some of the collections. I wanted to start at the beginning and work my way through, but it just hadn't happened yet.
I was in the bookstore the other day looking at the new releases and what do I see, an Emily the Strange novel. I picked it up skimmed through, read the back, saw the cheap price of $8.99, and took it straight to the register. For some reason the novel appealed to me in a way te comic never did. It's weird because I read comics all the time.
The book was very good. A quick, fun, easy read. The artwork throughout the book is very cool. The cats and characters that Emily encounters are brought to life through her eyes. The writing is great. Basically, Emily has amnesia and you are reading her journal as she goes through her adventure of trying to figure out who she is and why she's in a small, desolate town called Blackrock. Her perception of the world is interesting. She's obviously not a normal 13 year old girl. Belgium! She's quite funny as well.
Emily is a very interesting character. I will defintely read the next couple of novels that are slated for release this year.
I'd recommend these books for any young adult reader. I think a lot of girls can relate to not feeling as though they belong, as well as knowing that strange can be a lot more interesting than normal. I'd also recommend this for any current fans of the comic or any similar comics like Dead @ 17. This is very relatable for any age group.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment